BABY BOOMER BUYER WANTS
Fast facts about baby boomers – who they are; a brief description of typical baby boomer buyer wants; their housing considerations; preferences; and what most buy.
- 50 to 74 years
- 1 people per household
- 92% no children at home
- 71% couples or living alone
- A projected 24% of total new housing demand over next decade (again, like yesterday’s Missive, for the Brisbane outer suburbs)
As their title suggests, many want to move into something smaller and, if possible, in their existing neighbourhood.
- Low maintenance
- Like-minded residents
- Small scale projects and/or in the more…
- Secluded areas within a housing estate/neighbourhood
Preferred housing options:
- 10% to 20% – spacious apartments (inner city)
- 30% to 40% – townhouses/duplexes and similar multi-housing products (middle-ring suburbs)
- 30% to 40% – detached-based homes (mostly outer suburbs)
What most buy?
- Quality build and finish
- Well-priced – value for money – usual rule of thumb is that they need at least a 20% ‘jingle’ in their pocket between the sale of their existing home and the price of their downsized abode
- Privacy and security
- Parking and storage
- Space for visitors and grandchildren
Something to think about
Also, many downsizers are now looking for a home that is capable of taking in a tenant/s to help them live a more fruitful retirement – additional income and/or ability to travel and have someone ‘looking after’ their home whilst away.
Dual+ occupancy homes – two or more separated residences (yet, often under one roof) on one title – have increasing appeal.
This caters for not only tenants, but the extended family and in time, the potential need to have a carer live onsite.
Such a dwelling arrangement has increasing appeal to an investor on future resale – more rent/yield based decision – as well as an owner-resident, given the likely trends outlined a few weeks ago.
A picture is worth a thousand words – more so if the picture is a great one. Better still is having the right furniture in the shot. And even better than that is a floor plan.
Baby Boomers, for example, like to see a floor plan.
BoxBrownie.com recently engaged us to investigate what impact their services are having on real estate sales and leasing.
- BoxBrownie’s services can help sell a home 36% faster.
- Homes often rent out in days, not weeks, with the help of BoxBrownie’s services.
For more information about what we did go here.
To watch the video – relax, it is only 48 seconds – go here.
Don’t hesitate to contact BoxBrownie.com direct. Mention my name. I am sure they will say nice things about me. Well, maybe.
PS No animals were killed or injured during the making of this video. But for the record, some heavy swearing was going on, once we exceeded the 25th take!
PPS Interested in us doing this type of stuff for your real estate service? If so, then give us a bell. Go here.
Keen to hear your thoughts.
Until next time,
Not all Missives are posted on our website. Sign up and we’ll deliver every Matusik Missive direct to your inbox. Go here to subscribe. It’s free!