SEQ dwelling cycle
There is a lot of noise about the state of the SEQ housing market at present, with some claiming a pending boom, whilst others saying it is likely to remain tough.
I am leaning towards the later.
The aim of this missive is to help ground truth matters and provide you with some key housing market trendlines for south east Queensland.
More of this stuff will be coming your way over the next few weeks.
This communiqué holds four charts plus a missive extra table at the end of the post.
A quick summary
- End prices for both houses and attached dwellings closely follow sales volumes.
- SEQ dwellings prices haven’t grown much in recent years, but they aren’t likely to fall sharply unless sale volumes plummet. With increasing interstate migration that is unlikely. Every cloud has a silver lining!
- However, weaker sale volumes strongly suggests that there is little dwelling price growth on the SEQ horizon for the next year or two.
- This is particularly the case given the increase in stock advertised for sale, which is up 8% on this time last year and is 25% higher than it was five years ago. This includes off-plan, newly completed stock and resales.
- Overall SEQ has about 8.5 month’s supply currently for sale, which based on our metrics, suggest that prices are likely to remain flat.
Matusik supply v demand metrics
Our modelling suggests that when supply for sale is under 3 months demand, prices increase and sometimes quickly. Between 3 and 6 month’s supply, prices often rise but moderately. When the amount of stock for sale equates to between 6 and 12 month’s demand, prices remain flat or decline slightly and when over 12 month’s supply is available to buy, prices typically fall and sometimes hard.
To find out more about this stuff, why not attend a Matusik Master Class.
Click here to find out more.
Until next time,
Matusik Missives are free but public support is vital so that I can continue to fund investigations and publish posts which speak reason to the distortion. Your annual $99 donation helps me, help you! Click here to donate.
Matusik Missive Extra
South East Queensland – Dwelling Sales Cycle
|Calendar Years||Detached dwelling sales||Attached dwelling sales|
|No||$ median||No||$ median|
Matusik + DNRME QVAS. Sales volumes calendar years. Dec Qtr. Median prices. Matusik estimates for 2018. SEQ = LGA areas including Brisbane, Gold Coast, Ipswich Lockyer Valley, Logan, Moreton Bay, Noosa, Redland, Scenic Rim, Somerset, Sunshine Coast and Toowoomba (part a).