Direct investment in residential property, like all investments, involves a number of risks. If these eventuate, your income might be lower than expected. There may even be none. In addition, the capital value of your investment could fall.
The key risks of investing in property are outlined below:
- The property purchased may not provide the income or capital gains the asset was expected to produce.
- There is a risk that your property may, for periods of time, lie vacant and hence not generate income. Maintenance and repair costs are the investor’s responsibility and can vary, and at times be significant. Such costs are sometimes recoverable from rental bonds or under insurance policies.
- There are a number of factors that affect the general property market including increases in supply and falls in demand; the cyclical nature of property values; increases in taxes and operating expenses; overall economic conditions; demographic changes; changes in town planning laws; casualty and condemnation losses; environmental risks; regulation on rents; detrimental new developments in the area; increases in interest rates; similarly, inflation and changes to bank funding policies.
- Gearing increases the volatility in the value of your investment. In the early stages of residential investment, a significant fall in the property’s value may see balances fall to less than the total amount of borrowings.
- Increases in interest rates often increase the cost of borrowings.
- Changes in laws or their interpretations including taxation, superannuation and corporate regulatory laws, practice and policy could have an impact on your investment.
- You should seek professional advice before investing in residential property.
This website has been prepared by Matusik Property Insights Pty Ltd. Its contents have been prepared without taking into account the objectives, financial situation or needs of any particular individual. It does not constitute formal advice. For this reason, any individual should, before acting, consider the appropriateness of the information, having regard to the individual’s objectives, financial situation and needs, and if necessary, seek appropriate professional advice.
Information herein includes material obtained from third parties considered to be accurate. Whilst this information has been carefully compiled, no warranty or promise as to its correctness is made or intended. Interested parties should undertake independent inquiries and investigations to satisfy themselves that any details herein are true and correct.
In addition, no forecasts are being made about potential capital gains or rental returns. Past information about capital gains or rental growth does not imply such gains or growth will be made in the future.
Matusik Property Insights Pty Ltd disclaims all liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person of, or in connection with, the provision of information on this website, or the purported reliance thereon by any person.
Missive reuse policy
The Matusik Missive can be shared with others via the social media buttons as shown on each post on this website.
When it comes to the all other forms of reuse the Matusik Missive may be reproduced only in its entirety, with clear reference to Matusik Missive, using the statement below and a clear hyperlink back to the Matusik Property Insights website.
“Matusik Missive by independent property analyst, Michael Matusik. Every week Michael shares his thoughts on the Australian housing market. Visit www.matusik.com.au to find out more.”
Alternatively, the first five lines of the Matusik Missive may be used, with a hyperlink to the article in its entirety, and clear reference and statement, as per above.
We also allow the Matusik Missive to be forwarded as per the original email, again without any edit, to other email accounts.
Report and Missive Extra PDF reuse policy
Matusik Reports and Missive Extra PDFs are for individual use only. This is our intellectual property.
If looking to redistribute or use any part of this material, you must contact us and gain permission to do so. We are reasonable, but a small fee and conditions will apply.
Any use of our Reports or Missive Extra PDFs, without permission, will attract a financial penalty. These penalties start from $10,000 for each and every breach.
So maybe it is best to contact us and seek our permission to use or distribute our reports/PDFs.
And if you are interested in a report tailored for you, then please contact us.
When you sign up to receive the Matusik Missive your data is not supplied to any third parties.
We use MailChimp to distribute our regular Missive emails to subscribers. Both our website and our MailChimp account are scanned on a regular basis for any malware or database breaches.
You can unsubscribe at any time and with just one click. If you do so we will never send you another Missive email unless you resubscribe again.